Healthcare providers are no longer the sole gatekeepers of health information. The e-patient has emerged —individuals empowered by technology to collaborate and be actively involved in their health. Through the lens of diabetes, our recent webinar discussed this paradigm shift, as well as provided resources and tools for engaging with e-patients.
Panelists Hope Warshaw, MMSc, RD, CDE,BC-ADM; Deborah Greenwood, PhD-C, Med, RN, BC-ADM, CDE, FAADE; and Cherise Shockley shared many useful tips and tools for engaging with e-patients.
Here are 3 takeaways:
- There are several trends driving the e-patient paradigm shift. Technology advancements are enabling people to access more information and make global connections. There are also dramatic changes being made in healthcare delivery, access, and wants/needs of consumers (Hope Warshaw)
- HCPs should develop collaborative wisdom and learn from each other. E-Patients share data that educators and providers might not have. By working together, clinicians and e-patients can collaborate to decipher meaning of information. (Deborah Greenwood)
- Online Communities empower, connect, and support patients. [Diabetes] online communities create a 24/7 ‘place’ for patients to share different perspectives, peer-to-peer support, storytelling, and resources and tools. Check out several DOCs shared by our panelists here.
Visit SurroundHealth to access more resources for YOU:
- The full archive (along with all previous webinars) is available for all members to view – http://surroundhealth.net/Topics/SurroundHealth-Members-Lounge/Webinars/Archived-Webinars/Archive-of-Webinar-The-intersection-of-e-patients.aspx?returnUrl=/Webinar-Listing.aspx
- A full list of tools, references and resources shared during the webinar are also available- http://surroundhealth.net/Topics/SurroundHealth-Members-Lounge/Webinars/Articles/Resources-and-References-for-webinar-The-Intersect.aspx